11 Proven Benefits Of Staying Hydrated
1. Being hydrated helps boost your metabolism rate, energy, and fat-burning functions.
2. Dehydration can make your body too thick which can lead to heart stroke and disease.
3. Being hydrated assists in keeping the joints and cartilages soft and lubricated.
4. Staying hydrated can reduce joint pain and maintain normal movement.
5. Water transports oxygen-rich blood and nutrients.
6. Hydration prevents muscle fatigue, maintains muscle movement, and transmits nerve impulses.
7. Hydration helps the kidney and liver to remove waste through the body fluid.
8. Water creates saliva.
The enzymes in the saliva break down food and liquid to dissolve minerals and nutrients and make them more accessible to the body.
9. Hydration helps skin to be moisturized and fights against wrinkling of the skin.
10. Water helps in maintaining constant body temperature.
11. Drinking one or two cups of water before meals can fill the stomach and help you eat less at meals.
In the physical therapy setting, we commonly treat patients recovering from surgical procedures. Water plays a critical part in the body’s healing and recovery processes. Blood flow brings oxygen and nutrients to muscles and the healing tissues. When dehydrated, blood volume is low and can delay wound healing. Drinking water also helps prevent post surgical complications by helping your bowels run smoothly (as prescribed opioids can cause constipation), decreases risk for blood clots, and assists protein synthesis needed for muscle repair.